NUFF NANG

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

OF DOG FIGHTS AND DOG BITES!!!

I have just been bitten, quite severely by Husky Boy...not that he intended any aggression towards me though. It was an accident...

See what had happened was that Lucky escaped from inside the house as I was taking the laundry out to dry. And in 2 seconds Husky Boy attacked him, and they started fighting. Cleo came to help Lucky and I somehow managed to get Cleo back into the house. And then in trying to separate Lucky and Husky, Husky Boy bit me in the leg (my left calf to be precise) and then in the left forearm. Luckily for me Lucky then diverted his attention and so he let go. After some doing I managed to get Lucky back into the house. It was only then that I realised how severe the bites were as there was blood everywhere on my porch, and blood was still pouring out of my arm and leg.

I still didn't feel the pain then. I quickly ran my arm and leg under the garden tap for a few minutes, and then quickly rushed in to see if my Lucky was alright. After a quick look over I realised that Lucky was a really lucky dog. He was okay although Husky boy had gotten him by the scruff of his neck twice!

It was only after I knew that Lucky was alright did the pain set in. The blood was still streaming down my leg and arm. I rushed upstairs to wash my wounds some more and quickly sprayed some antiseptic solution on. There was some weird stuff coming out of my leg. I put some gauze and micropore tape on and somehow managed to drive myself to the clinic! It was quite hard actually cause I drive a stick shift!!! So the left leg needed to work quite a bit on the clutch, and the pain was beginning to really get to me.

Anyway I had to get 6 stitches in total on my leg, 3 on the front of my leg and 3 on the back of my leg! It's the first time I have ever had stitches and I think I collected quite a few!!! And the doc told me that the weird stuff coming out was actually the fat tissue from my calf. Yuck!!!

I am quite annoyed actually cause it means I can't walk or drive for the next week or so... When I said walk I meant take Cleo & Lucky for their hourly long morning walks. Bah!!!

So what prompted Husky boy to attach my Lucky??? Well Lucky has always anoyed Husky from inside the house, by barking at him through our windows and grilles. And nipping Husky Boy's ears every now and then if Husky Boy lay too close to the grilles. So I guess it was pay back time. And I really had to get Husky Boy off my Lucky cause he may have killed him. Sigh... I wished so hard that these two would get along... But they just don't. I think it's also due to the fact that they both are males and are therefore quite teritorial!

On another note, here are some important things to remember if you are ever bitten by a dog.

1. Remain calm
2. Make sure you wash your wound as thoroughly as you can
3. If you have antiseptic, put that onto your wound, and cover it with a gauze and plaster.
4. Get yourself to a doctor ASAP to have it looked at (and stitched if necessary), and GET a Tetanus shot!

Right I am going to stop typing now cause it's really hurting my left hand. Well that's my story for today...

2 comments:

Katherine and Pippa said...

Hey Natasha - you are going through the wars at the moment.

Hope you feel better asap.

We are sure you will.

Kate and Pippa

Natasha Fernz said...

Hey Kate & Pippa,

Yes it certainly seems like I am facing battle after battle...

But at the end of it all, I very often think looking after dogs (even if they bite) is more rewarding than looking after humans...

Poor Husky Boy is feeling quite remorseful I think cause he refused to eat this morning until I sat with him. He usually wolfs down his food as soon as I put it down...

Natasha

Nuffnang