NUFF NANG

Thursday, April 12, 2007

CRUELTY FREE COMPANION FOODS

Hello everyone,

I am on a mission! I am currently researching as many pet food manufacturers as I can and writing to pet food manufacturers whose products are available in Malaysia (those that I know of anyway) to confirm or otherwise that their products are part of the cruelty free programme. I will indicate with an "M" or something to show which ones are available in Malaysia.

Currently I have confirmed that Lamaderm and all Natural Life Pet Products (both available in Malaysia) are cruelty free. They have stated that they do not test on animals on their website too.

I will be adding a list of companies in my side bar soon with all those that have responded to my queries in addition to the cruelty free list by PETA. I hope that this will be useful to all of you. I would also appreciate feedback from everyone on this list so that I can put an indicator against cruelty free pet foods that are readily available in Malaysia. Will need all the help I can get...

In the mean time, here is a fact sheet from BUAV - British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection; on what top pet food manufacturers actually do when testing their products. Read also BUAV's webpage on companies that carry out animal testing. Warning : this reading material is very disturbing. There are also numerous investigations and picture evidence on the BUAV site.

Extract from BUAV:

Boycott animal testing: Quick guide to animal testing pet food companies

Nestlé Purina Petcare owns:
Friskies Petcare: Bonio, Winalot, Spillers, Felix, Fido, Friskies, Arthur's, Choosy, Go Cat, Gourmet, Vital Balance
Alpo*: Mighty Dog
Ralston Purina*: Purina, Edward Baker Petfoods

Mars owns:
Pedigree Petfoods: Pedigree, Cesar, Whiskas, Sheba, Kitekat, Pal, Chappie, Bounce
Royal Canin (majority shareholder): Royal Canin, James Well beloved

Colgate-Palmolive owns:
Hill's Pet Nutrition: Science Diet, Prescription Diet

Procter & Gamble owns
IAMS: Iams, Eukanuba

* The animal experiments related to these companies took place prior to their acquisition by Nestlé

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like all the "major" & off the shelf dog food brands in Malaysia.

fortunately, Toffee's fed by none of the above. although i wouldn't know if the brand she's fed with (Blackwood) is Cruelty-Free or not, how do you tell?

Nuffnang